Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Shh... Don't tell...

I’ve been busy rearranging my blog today, adding a new gadget and a page for links. I really dislike my blog’s three columns, but try as I might, I can’t seem to get it down to two. This morning I wrote a couple of critiques for other writers, then the afternoon was spent in blog-land.

Why am I telling you this? Well, I’ve futzed around so much with my blog today, that I’ve completely blown off today’s writing. Eek. There, it is all out in the open now, my terrible shame. It is nearly five o’clock here, and I’ve got nothing to show for it (although, I do like my book widget… see how I am?).

Of course, I could still get some writing done. My husband doesn’t come home today for at least another hour. However, I’ve also been injured and missing out on my runs. September is fast approaching, and I’m supposed to run a half marathon. See? Even my running has a timeline that I’m shirking.

Why do I do it? Why do I put off the work that must be done? I’ve promised myself a minimum of one-thousand words a day, and what do I go and do? I spend an afternoon playing with widgets. Writers, the Internet is a tricksy friend. It lures you with its promises of camaraderie in this lonely profession, then it grabs you by the wrist, yanks you under water, and when you surface, hours of your life have faded away. Eyes are bleary and strained, fingers are numb, but not because I've written my novel. Oh no.

I spent five hours resizing panes on my blog.

I admit it: I am weak. Self-discipline is not my strongest quality. But, being a writer is all about self-discipline, so I have to make a better effort.

Well, now the question is, how do I salvage this day? I’m going right now to lace up my running shoes. Don’t know if my leg will hold up to a run today - it hasn’t in seven days - but I’ve got to try. Perhaps I can get the blood flowing, work out the kinks in my back, and return to my desk and get in a thousand words before bedtime. Sometimes, I could just kick myself, but then I'd probably just pull a hamstring.

Posted by Jennifer B. at The Writing Cocoon

No comments:

Post a Comment