Thursday, July 7, 2011

Victory!

Posted by Jennifer B. at The Writing Cocoon

Something wonderful has happened. Something that’s been a long time in the making. For nine months I’ve planned, agonized, arm-wrestled inner demons, and daydreamed over this story. I’ve developed interesting finger twitches from hours at the keyboard. My house is a mess, I drink too much caffeine, and it’s summer but I don’t go outside. 

I finished my first novel. My grin’s so wide, I must look insane.

I mean, I actually finished something. I wrote a novel.

I don’t know what to do with myself right now. I’m fighting the urge to immediately denigrate my accomplishment, to make a show of false humility. But, for once, I’m going to own this moment of victory. Yeah, that’s right, this is a victory. I think you have to celebrate the victories in life when you get them, so time to chill some champagne.

As for the nitty-gritty, well, the word count today stands at 92,505. It is a very rough, first draft of a fantasy novel. I’m actually excited about the re-write, as strange as that may seem to some. So much has changed since I started writing: the characters have developed in ways I hadn’t anticipated; the plot and themes have matured into something better than what I started with; and I’ve learned so much through reading, writing, and critiquing.

Short post today. You’ll have to excuse me if I’m all typed out!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Crack yourself a nice, cold, whatever-it-is-you-want and enjoy the moment!

    ReplyDelete